Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 1995 12:59:17 +0300
From:      Gennady Sorokopud <gena@NetVision.net.il>
To:        <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   gcc-2.6.3 with bounds checking

Hello!

In the last 2 days i experimented with bounds-checking gcc.
I find that it's very usefull debugging tool but it also has it's
drawbacks:

1) it's too strict :-(
  For example it reports "reference to undefined pointer"
when you try something like: if (!ptr) ...
and ptr was not initialized before (i know, it's a bad style,
but not an error)

2) if it finds an error it aborts the program, and this really bothers
if error is in some system library :-)
(I modified libcheck.a to "recover" after such situation but
it's still unstable)

If you want to try it, you can ftp it from:
ftp://Burka.NetVision.net.il/pub/bounds/cc_bounds.tar.gz

It's modified gcc source tree for FreeBSD
(it contains everything except sources for cc1plus since it shoul not
be modifed)

Original distribution is located in the same dir....

Best regards.
--------
 Gennady B. Sorokopud - System programmer at NetVision Israel.
 E-Mail: gena@NetVision.net.il
 Homepage: http://www.netvision.net.il/~gena

 This message was sent at 07/03/95 12:52:11 by XF-Mail