Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:49:39 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG,  freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG,  Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru>
Subject:   Re: named.conf restored to hint zone for the root by default

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just for the record, I like the current solution, i.e. default
> being a "hint" zone, and slave zones being commented out, ready to
> be used for those who know what they're doing.

Thanks.

> However, I noticed that the "refresh" interval of the root zone is
> 1800, i.e. it would be fetched every 30 minutes,

No, refresh is how often the master servers are checked for serial
number changes. It's only fetched when the serial is updated.

> even though the zone seems to be updated at most once per day.

The serial is updated twice a day whether there are content changes to
the zone or not. Whether this is a good practice or not is an open
question.

In the odd chance that a change is introduced which is found to be
"bad" for some reason, the zone can be updated more frequently than
twice a day. This hasn't happened very often, but it has happened.

This is why what's suggested below is not a good idea either.

hth,

Doug