Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:35:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Johnny Wu <jwu@apexusa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DPT SmartRAID IV drivers almost released?

I have a question regarding DPT drivers for their 4th generation SmartRAID
products.

It looks like they are coming out soon with their FreeBSD drivers,
including a neat command-line tool to monitor/configure the system
(although I got conflicting messages, see below).  Is it better to wait
for these drivers to get into a -RELEASE, or just use DPT developed
drivers when (and if) they do get released?

I'm primary interested in implementing a hot-swappable spare RAID 0/1
configuration, and according to the mailing lists, but you can't tell
if a failure occurs on FreeBSD with 3rd generation DPT controllers, is
that right?

Also, is it true that you can  can boot off of a logical drive on a DPT
RAID array?  I'm also hearing conflicting information on whether you need
a independent drive to boot or not.

Thanks in advance,

Johnny Wu
Systems Engineer