Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 07:45:57 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Matt White <mwhite@donet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still Camera?

Matt

> Is there an easy way to hook a camera (USB?) to a -STABLE box, for the
> purpose of a webcam?  Color is preferred, but grayscale will do.

There is old support for old connectix cameras, but I recall the driver
does not support
the newer models.

The best (only?) FreeBSD option is to get a cheap bt848 based (or
bt849/bt878)
PC TV card. Eg Hauppauge WinCast/TV or WinTV/PCI. There are generic ones
for
40 UK pounds here in Scotland. $55 us dollars?.
Then you need a cheap camera. Perhaps from Tandy (Radio Shack)

Or you can get the Hauppauge TV Card + Camera kit.

There is no support for any USB cameras at this time. However, things
are in the works.
We have the specs for the VLSI Vision Limited (VVL) USB and Parallel
port camera.
These are resold as
  Creative Web Cams, Pace Web Cams, a dozen other makes of generic
USB/Parallel Camera
(look for VVL or Visions on the label on the underside of the camera)

Bye
Roger

> How it would work the best: A command line program that simply grabs an
> image either dumps it to a file, or sends it back in a stream... then I
> could write a perl script to grab an image and display it on command when
> someone wants to see the webcam's image.

We have examples of this for the Bt848 cards.

Bye
Roger