Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:32:52 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe FreeBSD 5.4-Beta problems

Dear Sirs.
I just tried to install a most recent set of FreeBSD
5.4-PRERELEASE/5.4-BETA1 on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo. The system has
a Maxtor 6B200M0 200GB harddisk attached to the nForce4 SATA connector
(due to NCQ) and a NEC 3500AG DVD+RW attached to the nForce4 ATA133
connector.
Booting from installation CDROM is not possible until acpi gets disabled
and this stays so when already did make world / new kernel with a most
recent CTM set of the kernel stuff.
It seems that FreeBSD does not know much about the SATA/SATA2 controller
(it shows up as ATA Generic). The harddisk shows up as UDMA33 drive
(like the DVDRW).
Performance is crude, copying from DVD while compiling makes the system
hang for some seconds on console.

Sorry, I'm not connected to the net with that machine so I lack in
dmesg-output.

I read some time ago about nVidia nForce3/4 issues and I wonder that
this is still status quo.

Compiling kernel without "atpic" seems to leave the operating system
inoperable, ACPI seems not to work. My question is whether FreeBSD 5.4
will support this type of hardware or maybe 5.5 or will FreeBSD not
support this?

Sorry bothering somebody around here, maybe this has been completely
discussed here but I do not read regularily this mailing list.

Can someone send me hints/tips for a fast kerl config and say something
about the trapdoors?

Thanks,
Oliver