Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 02:25:15 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need help on AlphaStation 200 freebsd installation

> Firstly, I just want to apologise of the multiple list. It was a mistake after
> I have posted out my mail.

You might want to try setting a valid reply-to address, since
max@one.com.au doesn't work.

> >> I have a Digital Alpha200 station planned to be install with FREEBSD OS.
> >> Firstly I am having the trouble of booting up at the main console, I used
> the
> >> kern.flp and mfsroot.flp to boot up to begin the installation. Right after
> it> > boot up with the prompt of terminal selection where you have 4 choices,
> my >> keyboard give no response to the machine. Wonder why?
> >
> >Because you have the SRM 'console' variable set incorrectly, and FreeBSD
> >believes that you are using a serial terminal.  The SRM knows how to
> >probe for a keyboard, but doesn't correctly export the terminal
> >interface.  Thus, you must set 'console' to either 'graphics' or 'serial'.
>
> I have tried to set my console to both either 'graphics' or 'serial'.
> And each setting i redo the whole installation process. But it came no changes
> with those settings.

The setting of the console directly determines whether you use the video
display or the serial console.  No more and no less, in a fairly obvious
fashion.

> Finally, I got it fully install from the serial terminal without any error
> occur. But to my surprise, when I boot it up again, I cant get into the main
> console.

There is no system component or interface that is known as "the main
console".

> here's my error
>
> Initial rc.alpha initialization:.
> rc.alpha configuring syscons: blank_time/etc/rc.alpha: cannot open /dev/ttyv0 :
> no such device or address
> mousedmoused: cannot open /dev/consolectl: Device not configure
> /etc/rc.alpha: cannot open /dev/ttyv0: no such device or address

You have configured the screen saver and mouse daemon, but you don't have
a keyboard attached, or are otherwise using a serial console.

> This is where it stops. But can I get the serial terminal up with a login
> prompt.

You still haven't got the console set up properly, or have otherwise
botched your keyboard or video.  A common mistake is to swap the keyboard
and mouse connectors around.