Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:48:19 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "Peter Kok" <cckok00@stlinux.ouhk.edu.hk>
Cc:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: slow

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:21:47 +0800, Peter Kok wrote:

I am no guru and you should have sent a cc to the list, but let me see
what I can do...

>Under the var/log dir, the 'message' file included
>Jul 20 16:09:05 itsfreebsd /kernel: lpt1 not probed due to I/O address
>conflict with lpt0 at 0x378

Sounds like at some point you made some changes to your I/O addresses
and made both of your LPT ports the same.. this is a Bios issue not a
Freebsd issue. Go into your bios and look into the I/O or peripherals
section.

>Jul 20 16:52:40 itsfreebsd /kernel: vx1 <3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI>
>rev 0 int a irq 10 on pci0:10:0

That seems like a normal line

>Jul 20 16:52:40 itsfreebsd /kernel: vx1: not configured; kernel is built
>for only 1 device.

Do you have two cards in this computer?
You may have mentioned in the previous message, but I don't remember...
Moreover I don't know how, but you need to build a device for the
second card...

>Jul 20 16:54:13 itsfreebsd ftpd[213]: FTP LOGIN FAILED FROM 10.0.0.2, peter
>Jul 20 16:56:12 itsfreebsd ftpd[217]: FTP LOGIN REFUSED FROM 10.0.0.2, root

wrong passwords?

>Now, i re-do the amend rc.conf and change the gateway to before. and the
>system is normal now.

Do you mean you recently made some changes and then revert them? Not
clear from above paragraph.

>why do the gateway can make the system slow???

I really don't know, but I would guess because it keeps sending packets
to it and this creates increased traffic/overhead

>This gatway is address of of itself 10.0.0.1'

???
do you mean you were pointing the computer to itself as a gateway?
Just sounds like something that would cause trouble. Why would you do
that?
A gateway is basically a link between your computer and another
network.
Example: your internal network is 10.0.0.0 and your ISP uses something
like 216.44.153.00
The gateway will translate(?) the packets from one network to the
other.
Also when using "non routable" IPs you need to do network
translation(NATD).. but don't ask me about that.. I went the easy way
and bought netmax. :-)