Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 14:34:25 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Real Time picoBSD?

In message <396390D9.A2E8E9CC@glue.umd.edu> Brandon Fosdick writes:
: What kind of real time performance can one get with picoBSD? I've seen
: the real time extensions for FreeBSD, but I haven't found anyway to keep
: the kernel from preempting my RT processes. Are the RT extensions
: available in picoBSD? Can I set the kernel priority?

At best, you can arrange fro pseudo real time stuff.  There's the
RTPRIO that you can run processes at, but this doesn't guarantee any
sort of response time.  In most of the systems I've designed, I've put
the really time critical parts into the driver that talks to the
hardware.  So far this has worked, but I do know there are instances
where it wouldn't.

Warner