Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:30:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tiller Beauchamp <tbeaucha@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Quake 3 Retail

I bought the Linux version of Quake 3 arena, but I'm having trouble
installing it under FreeBSD.

The install instruction say to run an install script, which checks some
library stuff and executables the appropriate binary setup program.

So the install script, called setup.sh, looks for some libraries in /lib
(which doesn't exist in FreeBSD), and runs some other programs like
fgrep and tail (which I only have FreeBSD version of).

All in all the setup script fails miserably.  It seems the only thing the
script is doing is deciding between a Glibc2.0 and a Glibc2.1 version of
the setup program. Does that make sense?

So I tried copying the setup program to a temporary directory,
brandelf-ing it and running it...  but it gives me this error

sh: /lib/libc.so.6: cannot execute binary file
Bad system call (core dumped)

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could provide me with some hints
on how to solve this problem.

FreeBSD 3.3.3
Xfree86 3.3.3.1
Linux emulator is working (Quake 3 Demo Test works)
Linux_lib package is installed. (different than Linux_base package?)

Tiller