Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:38:41 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        tech-kern@netbsd.org
Subject:   USB structure rename

I plan on committing the following delta to FreeBSD:

http://www.mu.org/~bright/usb.diff

The idea is to rename the structure fields within the USB ioctl
range to match what's commonly used, basically the prefix is
added as necessary.

The main reason this came about is the 'class' field in one
of the structures breaks including the file for c++ programs.

There's two alternatives to the rename:

1) rename the just the one 'class' field to 'clss'. (yuck)
2) #ifdef __cplusplus the 'class' field to '_class'. (yuck)

Let's not make this a larger deal than necessary so I'm really
only interested in hearing from people who:

a) work on the FreeBSD USB stack.
b) work on the NetBSD USB stack.
c) have substantial effort invested in the current scheme.

I am not interested in people who think they represent those of 'c'
but who actually don't have any code using the USB stack.

I'd really like to maintain source compatiblity with NetBSD
so let's come to some sort of agreement please?  I can even
do the delta for NetBSD if it will be accepted.

thanks,
--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/