Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 23:14:59 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   aic0 problems with CD-ROM spin-up

Hi.

I'm running FreeBSD 2-2 current, with the latest (as of yesterday)
sources. I've only recently picked up a problem with my CD-ROM drive (a
NEC external 6x SCSI-2 drive).

I've got a Adaptec AVA-1515 SCSI card, which uses the AIC6360 chipset.
I've recently replaced my motherboard and processor. I've got a Cyrix 6x86
P150+ with a 512kb pipeline burst cache motherboard that uses the Intel
82439HX chipset. The Adaptec card is ISA, btw.

I've only recently noticed this problem (like in the last month or so).
What I've noticed is that I can't access my CD-ROM drive for either data
or music.

The good old mount /cdrom used to work great; now, if I type it as root,
the system just stops responding. I can suspend it and/or cancel it the
first time, but a process of mount <whole lot of parametrs> /dev/cd0a is
suspended in a D state.

If I re-issue the command, the machine locks up. If I don't re-issue it
and just wait, I get timed out errors - to the effect of
Aug  6 22:15:25 chain /kernel: cd0(aic0:1:0): timed out - it doesn't stop,
and just keeps cycling that message, with all other processes on the
machine suspended.

I've checked the hardware,scsi,current and stable lists and saw some
mention of this problem, and that you had to get the drive to spin up and
mount it while it was spun up. How do I get it to spin up ?

Has the problem been fixed, or is it still a genuine problem ? Please
reply directly, as I'm not on -scsi or -hardware. I am on -current.

As an aside (I know this isn't cool, but I'm not going to write another
message for a very simple query), is there support in FreeBSD for dma mode
2 for mode 4 IDE drives ? I believe there's a patch called triton.c you
need to apply; I've never heard of it and don't know where you can get it,
but the source was reasonably reliable (as your friends can be ;-)

It apparently dramatically speeds up accesses to IDE drives that support
PIO Mode 4 for those poor guys (like me) who're still running IDE and not
SCSI (not out of choice).

FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0: Sun Aug  4 03:41:16 SAT 1996
    khetan@chain.iafrica.com:/drive2/src/sys/compile/KHETAN
Calibrating clock(s) relative to mc146818A clock...
i8254 clock: 1193289 Hz
CPU: i486DX (486-class CPU)
real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
avail memory = 30658560 (29940K bytes)
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
ed0 at 0x300-0x31f irq 5 on isa
ed0: address 00:80:c8:2e:e4:2c, type NE2000 (16 bit)
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
psm0 at 0x60-0x63 irq 12 on motherboard
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: NEC 72065B
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST3385A>
wd0: 325MB (666624 sectors), 768 cyls, 14 heads, 62 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <QUANTUM FIREBALL1080A>
wd1: 1039MB (2128896 sectors), 2112 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
aic0 at 0x340-0x35f irq 11 on isa
(aic0:1:0): "NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:502 2.0r" type 5 removable SCSI 2
cd0(aic0:1:0): CD-ROM
cd0(aic0:1:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
can't get the size
gus0 at 0x220 irq 9 drq 1 on isa
gus0: <Gravis UltraSound 3.4 (1024k)>
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
changing root device to wd1a

---
Khetan Gajjar	       [ http://www.iafrica.com/~khetan  ]
UUNet Internet Africa  [ 0800-030-002 & help@iafrica.com ]
Get rid of Telkom....  [      http://www.ispa.org.za     ]
I'm a FreeBSD User!    [      http://www.freebsd.org     ]
Any opinions stated in this message are personal.
UIA's official policy may not be reflected in this message.