Date:      Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:38:30 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to Force UDMA100 Mode on Boot?

Howdy--

Mark Kane wrote:
[ ... ]
> I know about atacontrol to set it manually, but I'd like to set UDMA100
> mode automatically on boot since I have 5 hard drives. I also know the
> sysctl hw.ata.ata_dma, but that doesn't say anything about using 100 vs
> 133.

Your BIOS ought to have a setting which throttles this down.

Simply changing in within FreeBSD might be a little late, since the system has
to boot far enough to get to that, or you might run some other OS on the
machine one fine day.  Anyway, consider:

touch /etc/rc.local
echo "/sbin/atacontrol mode ..." >> /etc/rc.local

--
-Chuck