Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 09:52:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, jylefort@brutele.be
Subject:   Re: Quick Question Regarding PS

Hello -

On Sun, 5 May 2002, default wrote:

> Thank you for your help, but the man page actually doesn't say anything
> about this. The line you refer to mentions that procfs should be mounted
> when running ps, not that ps is necessary for procfs to work properly, which
> would be the kind of problem that I am looking for. (In other words I'm
> looking for applications that are dependant on ps to be there, not things
> that ps is dependant on.)

What is a good criterion for "dependant on ps to be there"? If you state
that, you could do something like a script based on, say:

for filename in `find /usr -perm +0444 ! -type d -print`
do
  if [ <your $filename screening criterion here> ] then
    echo $filename > <output list>
  fi
done

Actually that's a command line, not a script. &8-)

DISCLAIMER - consider that pseudo-bash, with workabilty an exercise to the
reader.

 - John Mills