Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 2015 07:12:10 -0700
From:      Sergey Manucharian <sm@ara-ler.com>
To:        "darwinsurvivor@gmail.com" <darwinsurvivor@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad LEDs

Excerpts from darwinsurvivor@gmail.com's message from Tue 17-Nov-15 23:56:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 9:44 PM, Sergey Manucharian <sm@ara-ler.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to control ThinkPad LEDs?
> > The driver acpi_ibm(4) is supposed to provide (some of) such functionality.
> > Under /dev/led I have:

> >  em0
> >  thinklight
> >
> > "em0' is the network connector LED. I can echo 0 or 1 or output of morse
> > to it and it works.
> >
> > "thinklight" works somehow strangely (this is keyboard backlight and
> > overhead
> > light), although some people report it's working properly.
> >
> > However there are no other LEDs, e.g. power button, speaker, mic, sleep
> > indicator, battery.

> I haven't use freebsd on my thinkpad, but you may want to take a look at
> tp_smapi. If you can get sysfs working, it may be an option.

Thanks, Doug!

However it may not work either, since my ThinkPad is T430 and I've found at
thinkwiki.org:

  If you are installing on a recent Thinkpad that has an Ivy Bridge or
  newer processor (X230, T430, T530, etc.), tp_smapi will not work. You
  will be mostly limited to thinkpad-acpi capabilities.

Since acpi_ibm in Linux does work, it's probably not so hard to port
those features to FreeBSD. I'll take a look when have spare time.

Sergey