Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:07:27 -0200 (EDT)
From:      George Tavares <george@eps.ufsc.br>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: md5 vs DES on new 2.2.2 install

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Jacques Hugo wrote:

> Hi there ...
>
> I guess the subject says is all.
>
> What are the pros and cons of installing a new
> 2.2.2 fbsd system when looking at installing
> DES of MD5 as your encryption?  What do
> you guys suggest?

	I think that MD5 password encryption is more secure. It is more
dificult to try brute force password crack. I only install DES encryption
when I am changing a machine from Linux to FreeBSD, to preserve the
password map.
	If you want use YP/NIS with other OS, you probaly  need use DES,
the normal encryption of the other OS. Maybe solaris, with the DES map can
serve freebsd, but I never test.

| George Tavares                          Ciencias da Computacao - UFSC |
| Fone:(048)331-7020                      E-mail:    george@eps.ufsc.br |
| http://www.eps.ufsc.br/~george          PGP key  disponivel  por http |