Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2000 03:35:53 +0100
From:      "Joachim Jäckel" <Joachim.Jaeckel@d.kamp.net>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to write a device-driver?

Hello.

This is the first time that I try to do a hardware related programming,
(if I ever will start and finish it...)
I'm currently have no knowledge of that kind of programming, but I'd
like to learn!

If I'd like to write a device driver for a given card, could you tell
me, where I could read something about it (how to implement the
interface to the kernel, where to place and name the files and so on). I
read something about a device-driver tutorial under
www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ddwg, but it seems, that this page isn't there
anymore.

And maybe you could give me a tip, whats the best point to start, a
linux-device-driver, something like a specification of the different
chips on the card (it seems, that there is no documentation of the card
from the manufacturer), or could I listen on the data, which is posted
between the system and the driver under windows? whatever...

Thanks in advance for any help or answer,
--
Joachim.Jaeckel@d.kamp.net -- http://home.kamp.net/home/joachim.jaeckel