Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 15:18:27 -0400
From:      James da Silva <jds@torrentnet.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Small <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Command-line i/f (Re: PicoBSD)

 > > >IOS is not a good example to  follow here.
 > > Well it might be a source for command names ;)
 > Not even that.  IOS's command interface is a festering abomination.
 > Emulating it would be a major error.

Unless you're trying to sell a router to people who have it memorized
already, warts and all. :-)

It seems to me that the basic goal here for picoBSD is to be able to
configure the whole thing from one script file, including perhaps some
extensibility (which IOS does not have).

An extensible config language can be very small and very quickly
implemented.  I had thought the TCL interpreter core (minus all the library
routines) was very small, maybe something went wrong.  Forth certainly
qualifies.  Small schemes (eg siod) qualify.  A simple line-based mini-
language can be cons'ed up in a weekend.  Choosing among these is pure
religion.

But that's not the problem.  The problem is the mapping from this small
simple script-based language onto the "real" configuration base of the
system.  This can bloat up in a hurry.

Eg, does each subsystem read from the config file, or is there a single
command shell that updates some registry (ldap and agentx spring to mind
for the registry)?  Either way, you have to modify all your programs to get
their config info from this centralized place.  Or, if you don't want to do
that, you can have your script processor generate the traditional conf
files.  The mapping can be complicated if you aren't careful.

If forth is being considered as way to implement a lot of the
non-performance critical "glue" code, and not necessarily as the interface
through which the admin operates, then that's less controversial.

Wouldn't Java or some other bytecode language be similarly compact, or at
least in the same ballpark?  I know, a typical java runtime, like tcl, is
bloated; but how much of that is necessary?  How big would a simple JVM
with only the basic classes be?

Jaime
:  James da Silva  <jds@torrentnet.com>        :  Stand on my shoulders,  :
:  Torrent Networking Technologies Corp.       :      not on my toes.     :