Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 00:21:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dcasba@rain.org (Tom Gray - DCA)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium motherboards

> I would like to splurge on an upgrade to a Pentium motherboard for
> my FreeBSD system. What would anyone recommend? What should I steer
> clear of?

I can sell you the hottest thing on the market right now, an ASUS
PCI/I-P54TP4, you can't get the Burst SRAM version any place, but I can
get these with standard async cache (that is what everything else
is using).  You *cannot* upgrade to Burst or Pipelined Burst SRAM,
the boards with those on them have these chips soldered on.

Micron can not currently deliever the chips in high enough volume and
ASUS is haveing a very tough time getting any of them at all.  Last
word was these version of the motherboard would not be avaliable for
30 to 60 days.  [A few people where actually lucky enough to get
one of the few of these made, I was not one of them :-(].

This chip set is faster than the Intel Neptune chip set.  I can get
the full ASUS line if you want something fancier (dual P54 EISA or ISA,
etc).

$299.00 with 256k async cache, includes shipping via ups COD ground to
anyplace in the US.

P54C-90 CPU to go with it for $605.00.

Ball Bearing CPU fan (5 year warranty) for $20.00.

You can read all about ASUS's products from:
	- WWW: http://www.asus.com.tw/
	- Gopher: gopher.asus.com.tw
	- FTP: ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS

                    ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 Mainboard

Specifications:

- Processor (Intel Socket5 ZIF Socket for CPU)
  . Intel Pentium Processor 75/90/100 MHz (P54C/CT)

- Coprocessor
  . Internal Coprocessor of Pentium Processor

- Chipset
  . Intel Triton Chipset

- Architecture
  . 32-bit PCI Buss and 16-bit ISA Bus compatible

- Cache Memory
  . 256KB/512KB for option.
  . Support Burst Mode SRAM, Pipelined Burst SRAM or Asynchronous SRAM

- System Memory
  . Four 72-pin SIMM Sockets Support 8MB to 128MB
  . Use 4/8/16/32MB 72-pin DRAM Module with 70ns Fast Page Mode or EDO DRAM

- On Board Super I/O
  . 1 Floppy Port (2.88MB)
  . 2 Serial Ports (16550 Fast UART Compatible)
  . 1 Parallel Port (ECP, EPP Port)

- On Board PCI IDE
  . 2 x PCI Bus Master IDE ports (up to 4 IDE devices)
  . Support:
    . PIO Mode 3 & 4: 17 MB/Sec. (Max)
    . DMA Mode 2: 22 MB/Sec. (Max)

- Expansion Slots
  . 3 32-bit PCI slots
  . 1 PCI/ISA shared slot
  . 3 16-bit ISA slots

- BIOS
  . Award Pentium PCI BIOS and NCR PCI SCSI BIOS
  . 1M-bit Flash EPROM

- Board Size
  . Baby AT Size, 33.3cm x 22.1cm (13.1" x 8.7")