Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 03:36:43 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   reverting make to ignore $PWD

I've read all the remarks people made when Jordan removed $PWD support in
rev 1.5.

Many people gave examples of where it *COULD* be useful, but I didn't see
anybody offer a Real World(tm) example of where it was truely useful.

ON the other hand, I can show Real World breakage with bash2 which
updates and exports $PWD on every `cd'.

Are people go nuts again if this change is made (post 3.0)?

My /usr/src -> /FBSD/src and this causes obj/ directories to be made
sometimes in /usr/obj/FBSD/src and sometimes in /usr/obj/usr/src
depending on where I am in the /usr/src tree when I do ``make obj''.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.ucdavis.edu  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)