Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 22:50:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, sthaug@nethelp.no, tim@storm.digital-rain.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>
> > :	Hmmm, how did you do the measurement and how big of a file does it
> > :need?
> > :
> > :	With a 122MByte file, it only does 2644Kbytes/sec.  This is
> > :between two Pentium II 450 machines with Intel Pro100+ NICs.
> >
> >     2.6 MB/sec is what I would expect if you were running the test
> >     over an ssh link on a fast cpu - the encryption eats a lot of cpu.  But
> >     a normal rcp or ftp or data transfer can easily do 9-10 MBytes/sec.
>
> Just to refute that... I get almost 2Mb/s over lo0 with ssh. This is
> with standard compression/decompression and idea encryption/decryption.
> Since this has to run both ends, my K6-2 350 is really doing 4Mb/s or
> higher (take into account lo0 overhead.) I'd expect a P6 (II, whatever)
> running at at 450 to beat that, by around 15%.

	Hmmm, I can understand getting 2Mb/s over ssh but I never figured
out how to transfer files using ssh yet.  It's just that with ftp, file
transfers should be a lot quicker than that between 100Mbps Full Duplex
FreeBSD machines.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]