Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:14:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Richard Lynch" <ceo@l-i-e.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   port: security/denyhosts

I thought the security/denyhosts port looked good, even if just to
slim down that report I get every day about the hundreds of SSH
attempts...

And, hey, reporting back to denyhosts HQ and letting them notify the
sysadmins of hacked boxen is a lot better than me doing it by hand.

Only problem is, I'm stuck at Step 1:

cd /usr/ports/security/denyhosts
root@audio1# make clean
===>  Cleaning for python-2.4.1_3
===>  Cleaning for denyhosts-2.6
root@audio1# make
===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
===>  Extracting for denyhosts-2.6
=> Checksum OK for DenyHosts-2.6.tar.gz.
===>  Patching for denyhosts-2.6
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for denyhosts-2.6
-e:No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/denyhosts.

I thought maybe I was missing Python, but I went and installed that,
and it's in pkg_info

Actually, I should also point out that I had to do portsnap fetch and
portsnap extract just to get security/denyhosts to show up...

Maybe I wasn't supposed to do that?...

Or is there another package it relies on that I'm missing?

I tried reading the Makefile and there's a PYDISTUTILS requirement...

Couldn't find anything obvious with 'locate' and variations on that
theme, nor with ports make search key=pydistutils

I also tried looking at the work/DenyHosts-2.6/daemon-control-dist.*
files, as a second attempt to make (without a make clean) complained:
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for denyhosts-2.6
Ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch.
1 out of 1 hunks ignored--saving rejects to daemon-control-dist.rej
=> Patch patch-daemon-control-dist failed to apply cleanly.
*** Error code 1

But make clean "fixed" that, so it's probably a red herring.  Nothing
in the files I looked at seemed horribly wrong, but I can't claim to
know what should be there in the first place.

I've Googled some for this, but mostly find tutorials the seem to
think the "make" is just gonna work.

I guess I could just compile from source, but I do prefer to use ports
whenever possible.

So is this port just borked, or is it just me, or...?

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?