Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:19:57 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Burning DVD with files>4GB from console

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 12:44:14PM -0500, Steve Polyack wrote:
> Not too say you're .iso images can't be >2GB/4GB, but I'm pretty sure
> the ISO9660 standard is limited to a 2GB maximum file size (for files
> within the .iso).  You must use UDF to burn files of greater size.
> mkisofs(8) seems to support this, if only in alpha/hybrid stage:
>
>  -udf   Include UDF support in the generated filesystem image. UDF sup-
>         port is currently in alpha status and for this reason, it is not
>         possible to create UDF only images.

It would seem then that the O.P. who is already splitting his backup
into 4.3GB chunks should split backups into sub-2GB chunks.
4,700,000,000 is the standard DVD size, I'd shoot for chunks of 4.5E9/3
so as to have about 200MB of headroom per DVD.

growisofs will write 3 files to the DVD just as easily as one. The magic
of growisofs is that it invokes mkisofs on the fly. And also that
cdrecord had obnoxious (and broken) licensing in years past when I last
tried it.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net