Date:      06 Jan 2003 09:13:58 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Insecure servers

At 2003-01-06T10:59:49Z, "E.S." <bsdterm@HotPOP.com> writes:

> Of course, "people who don't do enough to secure their systems deserve
> what they get"...
>
> ...at least, that's what so many in the security field seem to say.
>
> It's a ridiculous statement, of course -- we don't say, "people who don't
> do enough to secure their homes deserve what they get," do we?

I'm a little undecided about that.  If someone leaves for a weekend but
leaves their doors unlocked (because dealing with locks is inconvenient),
then yes, they probably get what they deserve.  Similarly, if every news
channel is carrying a story about a new device that cracks garage-door
opener codes, and the only fix is to de-activate your opener, but you
neglect to do so...
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.