Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:53:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CMOS, daylight saving time and dual-boot

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Eugene Grosbein wrote:

> Suppose, the machine does not have global connectivity at all
> (and it has no local source of exact time) or just at the boot time.
> It still needs to adjust local time, right?

Your post posited a problem with ntpd not being able to synch the time
because it was an hour off. The fact that the DST problem caused the ntp
problem isn't really relevant.

> It seems to me as DST problem really, not NTP problem.

I don't think I properly stated my actual point, which is that the issue
you're describing is an edge case, and we have about 1k more important
things that need developer time.

If you choose to spend some of your time fixing this problem I'm sure we'd
all be interested in your results.

Doug