Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 16:50:09 +0200
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   latest update, usb printing problem

Having been off the air for a month I decided yesterday to download the
latest stable etc. It all looks fine except that my Epson 740 Stylus
printer has ceased to function. It is connected via a USB port. It works
fine under windows but under the latest stable when I try to print
somehing, it grunts a bit but that is all. If I force a paper feed all
I get is a blank sheet paper. However what I had queued for printing
is no longer in the queue. All the expected messages turn up when I boot
or turn the printer on, so there is obviously connectivity, but no
output.

Secondly "lpr" no longer honours the environment variable setting of
"PRINTER" I have to use -P to get the file in the right queue.

Any clues ?
--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson