Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 18:34:52 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jamil Taylor <jamil_taylor@pobox.com>
Cc:        pir@pir.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: applix 5.0 failing

Jamil Taylor <jamil_taylor@pobox.com> types:
> Hmm. I built 4.3 STABLE right after a cvsup about four days ago. Applix
> works fine for me without me having to make any changes. I presume if I
> was to cvsup now, Applix would break?

The question isn't when you built your system, but what state your
system was in when you built the gtk port.

If you are running a recent enough version of FreeBSD - sometime when
it called itself 4.2-STABLE - then you have getresuid, and the gtk
port will detect and try and use it. This fails exactly as Peter
reported.

If your system doesn't have getresuid when you build the gtk library,
you'll get the gtk-provided version, and everything works. It will
continue doing so even if the system is upgraded, so long as gtk
isn't upgraded.

	<mike