Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:43:00 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   common packages not working

I have a 133 Pentium (Compaq Deskpro 4000) with 3.4-RELEASE.  I have a
couple packages added to my system: emacs which I added by using pkg_add,
and ghostscript which I believe I with added with stand/sysinstall when I
first installed FreeBSD.

Apparently, I had forgotten that I already added ghostscript, so when I
tried pkg_add, it said it was already installed.  However, when I tried to
pkg_add ghostview, it refused, saying it would be useless without
ghostscript!!

#gs
gs: Command not found

However, find / -name "ghost*" showed that it was on my system.

#emacs
emacs: Command not found

I was sure that was the command for emacs, and I had just used pkg_add to
install it, so I rebooted.  Amazingly, it came back with a different set of
errors:

# emacs
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 : shared object libXaw.so.6 not found

and

#gs
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 : shared object libXt.so.6 not found

#find / -name "libXaw.so.6"
/usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.6
/usr/compat/linux/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libXaw.so.6

#find / -name "libXt.so.6"
/usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
/usr/compat/linux/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libXt.so.6

So they are on my system.  Do I need to create symbolic links by hand??
Why do I have X11R6 files and directories if I haven't installed XFree86 on
this system??  Or is that my problem??  These seem like Linux compatibility
files, isn't emacs native to Unix??

Anyway, what should I do??  In the future, should I use ports or packages
if  both are available??

Thanx!!