Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 2020 13:47:44 -0400
From:      Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ask stupid questions and you'll get a stupid answers, was: Technological advantages over Linux
References:  <CAGBxaX=Ktr-pqtT8FU37ajkYonVLYT_WhSenn23Tj5b=i0d-8g@mail.gmail.com> <20200726063256.GA22924@admin.sibptus.ru> <20200726093909.ee5e14e643d31da4dad5c804@sohara.org> <20200726151835.GA35966@admin.sibptus.ru> <27ca8c6c-6b06-6ad4-7af0-2b88f51a3856@kicp.uchicago.edu> <20200726165212.a0ac28ce104b9dfd009cc4c5@sohara.org> <20200727025242.GA48950@admin.sibptus.ru> <04bb7095-3e62-22d7-9db7-cfba3c66247b@kicp.uchicago.edu> <alpine.BSF.2.23.453.2007270732330.893@fbsd.local> <b9046235-27f0-4305-fbe7-4ed431e79439@yuripv.dev> <CAGBxaX=jy5ZB6GxeB0tii-gd1rmS1h_mHH9g71puO%2Bud_h3kdg@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.BSF.2.23.453.2007270839320.972@fbsd.local> <CAGBxaXn=TORaWE0RMDv1Z6p3Vk48BHcYtF0RukrCHfieG_BQsA@mail.gmail.com> <20200727063036.31316d93@scorpio.seibercom.net> <CAGBxaXn_BV%2BZ50G1pk682D=WnYHYhMYD3%2BEdWZ6Orp5PyKo75Q@mail.gmail.com> <20200727082427.3dd26eeb@scorpio.seibercom.net> <CAGBxaXmAkmbJqzJZpQahHNYrKQcTv8h%2B-mKTRzHz6Zc%2BZ=aBig@mail.gmail.com> <20200727121736.4f95993e@scorpio.seibercom.net>

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:18 PM Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:

> >> You obviously suffer from a persecutory attitude. I simply replied to
> >> the post in the order I receive it.
> >>

> >I am quite sure that is not the case.  You just don't know how to
> >clearly state what you are replying to, instead you do so in a way
> >that is (purposely?) unclear and thus imply stuff about someone who
> >you obviously don't like (me) that may or may not be true (I never
> >stated an opinion one way or the other).
>
> Wow, I neither like nor dislike you. You are not that important to me.
> You really do suffer from some for of paranoia.
>
> >> Seriously, Aryeh have you ever considered that possibility that you
> >> suffer from a form of Oppositional Defiant behavior?
> >>

> >A truly odd comment from someone who constantly recommends Linux on a
> >FreeBSD mailing list after being told in the thread that the question
> >is about FreeBSD *NOT* Linux!  And then after being told that Linux is
> >not a viable option still pushes the matter.  Most of my blunt
> >statements about the Linux idea (none of them were about you
> >personally, where yours are very personal) were due to an attempt to
> >show that Linux was a complete non-option in my case and that
> >suggesting it was worse than useless (it was insulting).    So a small
> >personal question: tell me why I should listen to someone who doesn't
> >even have enough courage in their convictions to leave their email
> >address on an email they sent?
>
> I never recommended Linux over FreeBSD, or any other OS as a absolute.

That contradicts your comments earlier in the thread: "If the user is going
to run "X" with "KDE" for instance, FreeBSD is NOT the OS of choice."....
"You claim to be not interested in 100% compatibility and top performance
and then bitch that you are not
getting the results you expected under the environment you are operating it
under." (BTW both where said *AFTER* I said I didn't care about either one
very clearly *MULTIPLE* times)... you are still persisting in saying it
when you claim using FreeBSD is not KISS for any use case that involves X
(again after I presented just a use case in very concrete terms)..

In short, make up your damn mind about what you are saying. Either you are
saying there is nothing wrong with FreeBSD for my use case or your saying
it sucks (you have said both in this thread).

> I DID and STILL do highly recommend using the OS, and obviously the
> applications associated with that OS, that offer the highest degree of
> performance for any particular task. Performance is a very subjective
> concept though. If your only need is to draw a straight line, you
> obviously do not need to run a CAD program; any ASCII based text
> program should suffice. For that reason, I would never use a 'chain
> saw' to miter a piece of crown molding. (I know that analogy probably
> goes over the head of many users here, but it was the best one I could
> come up with in a hurry).

And as said above the application I use FreeBSD it is the best suited to my
needs yet you refuse to accept that.

> I have two screens on my desk, connected to two different PCs running
> different OS's. Each one is configured to meet my specific needs for the
> task that they are required for. I know, I have been told to use

I have a truelly KISS solution for that: a KVM switch they cost (depending
on the video cable type) as little as $25 and as much as $120. (
https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=&cat=&Ntt=kvm+switch&searchButton=search)
and if you need HDMI a HDMI switch (
https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=&cat=&Ntt=hdmi+switch&searchButton=search).
Problem solved no need for some heavy weight solution like two complete I/O
setups (likely a few hundred dollars that you didn't need to spend) or a VM
(getting more horsepower then you need).   BTW this is the exact solution I
use for the same problem with the additional issue of living (working at
home due to being a freelancer) in a small NYC apartment and thus not
having infinite desk space.

> "Hyper-V" or some other virtual system; however, this works just fine
> for me, and if it ain't broke, I don't intend to fix it.

Nor is it as simple as possible even by your definition of simple.
Bringing this up because you popoo'ed the KISS solution that works for me
by the above quotes!

> With all the problems that seem isolated to your system, have you ever
> seriously considered doing a complete reformat of you PC, then
> reinstalling the OS and each piece of software piece by piece until you
> find out what the problem is, if there even is one. I am starting to
> think the problem you are fighting with is related to the PEBKAC
> principal.

Done the above experiment 3 times on my current machine alone and thats how
I can say without qualification that the performance for X has gotten worse
I can even from memory tell you the exact procedure I use:

0. Download latest release snapshot
1. Erase existing (whole) drive with dd
2. Reinstall using automatic configuration/partitioning (UFS not ZFS since
ZFS produces drives that are nearly impossible to physically move between
machines)
3. Set the time and reboot
4. Manually set up networking by editing /etc/rc.conf and /etc/resolv.conf
5. svnlite co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/XX.YY /usr/src (currently
12.1)
6. cd /usr/src&&make -j 12 DESTDIR=/ world kernel&&etcupdate&&reboot
7. While make is running create a user account and add basic services like
NFS (client), NIS and SSHD to /etc/rc.conf
8. Reboot
9. Manually mount NFS home dirs and add to fstab
10. Reboot
11. svnlite svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
12. cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster
13. make install
14. rehash
15. cd /usr/ports
16. portmaster -d x11/nvidia-driver x11/nvidia-xconfig x11/xorg
x11-wm/xfce4 www/firefox editors/libreoffice devel/aegis devel/fhist
devel/cook archivers/tardy java/openjdk8 audio/deadbeef editor/vim
www/tomcat9 java/icedtea-web
17. Edit /usr/local/sudoers
18. Add tomcat9 to /etc/rc.d
19. run nvidia-xconfig&&cp ~root/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
20. Add nvidia-modeset_enable="YES" to /boot/loader.conf
20. Reboot
21. Login as the end user
22. Startx
23. END OF PROCEDURE

(Note I do not consider this ***HARD*** at all, it is actually less work
then getting a consumer OS like Windows or MacOS completely configured to
my liking, and it is all 100% documented unlike attempting anything except
the default install on Linux which almost always gets something wrong and
you have to fiddle with it zero documentation or access to the sources due
to using binary packages)

As to performence if I can watch 4k/120 fps video in real time then there
is zero problem with performence (any lack of performence in other apps is
because of incompetent coding on the developers behalf).   Given the fact I
ditched my TV and FreeBSD with some help when it comes to getting the
content (like mutlimedia/youtube_dl) over 5 years ago proves that it has
performance as good as the best TV's out there. (What more could I ask for
especially since I am using a 10 year old graphics card).

> Oh, I got your apology. That sort of highlights my PEBKAC theory.

I would say your theory is correct but I think that the person who has the
issue is you where you have completely missed everything that was said by
me in the entire thread or misconstrued it into what you wanted it to mean
not what I actually said.