Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:10:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD-Sparc (was: FreeBSD vs Linux)

On Mon, 16 February 1998 at  8:56:36 -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> Jim C. Joseph writes:
>>
>> I would agree with some points. FreeBSD is a real server OS. I have mine
>> running NFS, NIS, SMBD, and as an internet router. It handles pretty well.
>> That is why my Sparc is there for only photoshop. But to be fair, Solaris
>> on an Ultra could put both of these in the trash(That is assuming you have
>> $15000 lying around ;).
>
> Has anyone seen the $3k Sun Ultra 5 currently being advertised?
> We have a number of Ultra-1's at work, and one dual CPU Ultra something.
> Haven't felt the need to benchmark 'em against my FreeBSD P-133 other
> than observing that I'm happy to keep a task on the P-133 as long as I
> can before it has to be moved to its final resting place on the Sparc.

For those of you who don't know, there's currently a project
(sponsored by Sun) to port FreeBSD to these boxes.  There's a mailing
list as well (FreeBSD-sparc@FreeBSD.org), but it's not very active
right now.  Expect to see more activity in a few month's time, when
the primary porter has something to show for his efforts.

Greg