Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:56:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>, dfr@nlsystems.com, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, jwd@unx.sas.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot.flp doesn't

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Gee... that's a lot of cc's...

> > > The server code is already removed; you could put the nfs_mod.ko file
> > > on a second floppy though.
> >
> > Wait a moment. If we really want to go this way, why don't put the whole
> > bunch of modules on a second floppy, and cut down the kernel size by half?
>
> Now, if my memory doesn't fail me, there are some people who do NFS
> installs on a sizable number of machines (emphasis on size) who have
> previously manifested the intention to kill anyone who makes them
> boot two disks instead of one.
>
> If we had to choose, I'd say try to keep it one disk as far as
> network installations are concerned.

Why don't we just make more floppies? bootcd.flp, bootnet.flp, bootnfs.flp,
bootks.flp.... The floppy generation process could be pretty easily changed.
More floppies is pretty modular, anyway, without the need for using actual
KLDs :)

> Other people may be able to boot from cd most of the time. Hey,
> maybe we can even get some .ko's from the cd... :-)
>
> --
> Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
> dcs@newsguy.com
>
> 	If you sell your soul to the Devil and all you get is an MCSE from
> it, you haven't gotten market rate.

 Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org			      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
	     http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |