Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:20:14 +0400
From:      Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New kernel with its ATA drivers damages the filesystem

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 11:26:17AM +1000, Tim Liddelow wrote:
> Grigoriy Strokin wrote:
>

> > > I've had the same problem, it's now fixed with the following line
> > > added in my /etc/rc.local :
> > >
> > > /sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio
> > >
> > > (i've 2 ide disks + an ATAPI cdrom).
> >

> Yes, this is all well and dandy - but this is a _bug_ in the driver.   Is
> there a PR for this ?   I am finding similar filesystem corruption - zero length
> directories, dup inodes, etc frequently - and I don't get the timeout problems.
> I am now falling back to PIO mode like yourselves, but don't really see this
> as a long term solution - could it be the PCI IDE chip we use ?
> More specifically, I am running on a VIA Apollo chipset.

So am I:
  pcib2: <VIA 82C598MVP (Apollo MVP3) PCI-PCI (AGP) bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0

I was playing with 4.0 installation all night,
and found that
   /sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio
should be the first line of /etc/rc,
and if going single-user with boot -s,
I should type this command immediately
after issuing the shell prompt.

Several times I forgot to do that after boot -s, and all times resulted in some
minor or major damage, e.g.  all files in /usr/bin disappeared, and ls /usr/bin
gave file 'at???'.

Now that the system works to me,
I'm afraid for that some day I'll do
do boot -s and forget /sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio,
and my filesystems get wiped.

--
=== Grigoriy Strokin, Lomonosov University (MGU), Moscow ===
=== contact info: http://isabase.philol.msu.ru/~grg/     ===