Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2006 19:18:04 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: anyone recognize this panic?

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 03:51:44PM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:

> One thing, the developer's handbook only talks about "option DDB" but=20
> that won't compile until you have added KDB.

Please send-pr about this to get the docs updated.

> Now, I got it to panic but it took 5 or 6 tries. "At will" must have=20
> heard his name and ran away :). However, when I try "call doadump" it=20
> says no dump device has been specified. I have dumpdev=3D"AUTO" in=20
> rc.conf but I think this is happening far to early.
>=20
> All is not lost because I think I have 3-6.3 MP images of the panic and=
=20
> the trace back. How can I get a dumpdev that early into the boot? This=20
> is turning into the pain I thought it would be :).

Unfortunately I don't think you can.  dumpon(8) says you can set a
loader variable, but this is just an outdated manpage and that
facility went away in 2002 (probably something to do with GEOM).
However, DDB traces should be sufficient.  Since you can reproduce
this easily, please also turn on INVARIANTS, INVARIANT_SUPPORT, and
WITNESS.

Kris

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft--