Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 05:33:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net>
To:        sheldonh@uunet.co.za (Sheldon Hearn)
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/bin/test Makefile test.1 test.c operators.c operators.h

> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:58:50 EST, Mike Pritchard wrote:
>
> > bit if the moved to another platform.  The new man page documents that
> > it is a superset of POSIX.2.  Perhaps all of the non-standard features
> > should be split off into their own section that states that they are
> > extensions to the standard, and may cause portability problems.
>
> Would you be satisfied with listing extended options under STANDARDS, or
> were you thinking of something more ambitious? Either way, I'd need to
> look at the POSIX standard, which will be a problem, since I hear it's a
> money-thing. :-(

I was thinking something along the lines of adding the text under
the DESCRIPTION section.  E.g.:

DESCRIPTION
    ...[lots of text]

    -x file

The following options are extensions to the whatever-standard and
may not be portable to other platforms:

    file1 -nt file2
		 True if .....

That way you don't have to read all the way down to then end of
the man page to figure out that you are using something
non-standard.

Yes, getting a copy of the POSIX standard is a money thing.
Maybe we can get a group rate if enough of us want to buy
a copy (I have no idea).  If you are working on on-line manuals for
commands/syscalls/libraries, you need a copy just to be sure you are
documenting things correctly.  I've been ready to break down and spend
the money for a while now, so I'll probably do it now.  In the past
I've always passed these things off to review to someone I knew
had a copy of the standard :-).

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard