Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 12:59:55 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, tlambert@primenet.com, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: May 17th UP machine 'panic'

On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 12:05:57PM +0900, Michael Hancock wrote:
> You should review and test as much as you can on your own and demonstrate
> some stability before you release it for broader testing.

I'm using the Linus definitions for stability of the development
kernel (this is an actual quote): "If it compiles, it is good - if it
boots, is it perfect" ;-)

I'll give it a shakeout - presently it is very, very rough.  It is
only compiled, not run - and I still haven't done much to make sure
that vput() has proc available from a higher level (even though that
often is easy to arrange).

> > Oh, and can somebody tell me if cnp->cn_proc is generally usable as a
> > 'relevant process pointer', or if I should keep it to areas where it
> > is already used (as I did in the rough patch)?
>
> You will often see ...
>
> 	struct proc *p = cnp->cn_proc;
>
> ... if the argument is used frequently in the function.  It's usually
> relevant, but being consistent is probably fine.

I'm thinking more of whether the value of cnp->cn_proc will be the
correct process to pass down in all cases.  As it is, I haven't used
it except where it already was used in the same function.

> I won't have time to review it for a while.  I need to finish vop_rename,
> which is a doozy, and things have gotten busy at work.

That's OK.  I don't have any particular need for this - I'm doing it
because everybody seemed to agree that it was the way to go, but
nobody else seemed to want to be bothered with doing it.

Eivind.