Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2006 12:39:41 -0700
From:      Ken Gunderson <kgunders@teamcool.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: major pita w/LSI Tyan TA26 combo

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 11:48:26 -0500
Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2006, at 4:43 PM, Freddie Cash wrote:
>
> > The official word from LSI Support is:  they do not support any RAID
> > controllers connected to riser cards, no matter what the OS.  Go
> > that via
> > e-mail from one of their support techs and one of their RAID
> > engineers.
> >

> Interesting... They never said that to me.  I have an issue with an
> external Dell Powervault array that always reports failure of
> whatever is in position 0 once the array is active.  It will format
> it, etc. without failure.  If I swap the channels on the 320-2X card,
> the error stays with position 0 on the array.  If I drop the channel
> down to U160 from U320, no errors.  This leads me to believe that the
> backplane of the array box is not up to spec for U320.

FWIW-- I have tried manually dropping speed to U160 to no avail.

And.. my original issues that I opened w/LSI and Tyan was w/, you
guessed it, position 0.  Of course Tyan reports that I'm the only one
reporting such problems...

> The funny thing is that and Adaptec 2230SLP card has no issues with
> the array whatsoever.  I've not had problems with LSI cards on risers
> before.

>From myunderstanding from talking to LSI support Adaptec cards will
automatically drop to U160 if they can't keep up w/U320??

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?