Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 18:12:35 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3 Desktop Query

I recommend staying clear of KDE or gnome, since they are real
resource hogs.  fvwm2 is good (my wm of choice) and WindowMaker is
also very lightweight (more so than fvwm2, if I'm not mistaken).
I am currently using fvwm2 on a PII/MMX 200Mhz box running RH6.2.  I
always run a load monitor in FvwmButtons panel, and often the load
doesn't even register (unless I am playing or the screensaver comes
on).  Configurability is the best I've seen - bar none.

Caveat:  fvwm2 has had a lot of module development lately, with lots
of fancy bells and whistles being made available.  It now has the
potential to be quite a hog itself.  I'd suggest using a small subset
of the more basic modules if you choose it, this will keep it down to
a more lightweight wm without losing any of its extensive flexibility.

HTH
Lou

On 07/09/01 12:50 PM, Doug Poland sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 11:27:37PM -0500, Danny K Ho wrote:
> > - Hello
> >
> > - I am running FreebSD 4.3 on a old Pentium Pro with 32 MB of RAM
> > - Which X Windows Manager should I install
> >
> > - fvm2?
> > - KDE 2?
> > - Gnom?
> >
> > -Looking rorward to your feedback.