Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:57:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dev_t / udev_t confusion ?

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Personally I don't think there is much need for a long discussion and I
> would prefer to see simply a show of hands for yes and no, and any hear
> any really heavy duty arguments pro et contra.

Sounds good to me -- I ran into this recently with the audit
implementation because Solaris embeds a "udev_t" in the BSM audit format.
Since the format is handled by the kernel as well as user space, I had to
do the usual gymnastics to work around the udev_t confusion.  I'd love to
see that resolved, thanks!

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research