Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:54:56 +0000
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD - Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT - Filter for Thunderbird

On Dec 18, Chris launched this into the bitstream:

> Erich Dollansky wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Chris wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry for posting here - but perhaps someone has done this. Is so, reply
>>> please.
>>>
>>> I wish to create a filter based on the Subject, in short, I want it to
>>> flag all duplicate emails. Has someone done this?
>>>
>> I think the access to the other mails is missing.
>>
>> The main problem will be the time it could take if people have a huge
>> archive with many, many different folders if Firefox keeps only one
>> index per folder.
>>
>> Erich
>
> No - I think you totally missed the point. I have duplicate mails I would
> love to create a filter to remove. Opposed to going through 1700 plus mails
> and removing them by hand.
>
> If I failed to articulate that - then it's my fault.

I hope I'm understanding...you mean apply a filter to *existing* mail??
I'm not even sure it's possible in T/Bird.

For the future though.................

procmail is completely capable of doing what you require.

If you're using T/Bird (I'm guessing) you're probably also pop'ing mail
directly from your provider or a.n.other account? For procmail to
function efficiently you would need to install postfix or sendmail
[shudder] and define procmail as your LDA. You would then get completely
granular control over your incoming mai stream.

my $0.02.

Regards,
-Colin
--