Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 2020 15:31:10 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
Subject:   Re: OpenZFS port updated

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 3:14 PM Mel Pilgrim
<list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com> wrote:

> On 2020-04-17 11:35, Ryan Moeller wrote:
> > The FreeBSD platform support in OpenZFS does not yet include all
> > features present in FreeBSD=E2=80=99s ZFS. Some notable changes/missing
> > features include:
> [...]
> > * pre-mountroot zpool.cache loading (for automatic pool imports)
> >
> > To the last point, this mainly effects the case where / is on ZFS and
> > /boot is not or is on a different pool. OpenZFS cannot handle this
> > case yet, but work is in progress to cover that use case. Booting
> > directly from ZFS does work.
>
> To be clear, this means OpenZFS currently does not support / on
> GELI-encrypted disks, correct?

If you have a legacy setup with a bootpool, that is correct. Since
12.0+ the bootpool is almost completely redundant except for some odd
setup that I can never remember. For legacy setups, the bootpool
can/should be merged into your root pool if it's feasible.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans