Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:22:21 -0400
From:      whasting@lexmark.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Trouble installing FreeBSD 4.0

Are the files neccessary to install KDE or GNOME on the installation cd for
FreeBSD 4.0? If so could you explain to me how I would install it.  Every time
that I go to the /usr/ports/x11/...  dir and try the "make" or "make install"
command.  It says that "kdebase11.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system"
and then as I'm sure you already know it tries to download from the FTP site.  I
am not able to be online right now so I can't download from the FTP site.  I can
however download from my Windows2000 partition.  So I can get the files if they
aren't on the CD but I don't know how to mount my Windows2000 partition.  My
file system is NTFS (on the Windows2000 partition).I downloaded the iso file
from one of the ftp sites.  It's just disk one.  Also, if you could explain to
me how to mount a DOS drive.  One more question, can I use an Iomega USB
ZipCD-R/RW Drive with FreeBSD 4.0.  If not can I rebuild the Kernal to support
it?

I greatly appreciate your help.

P.S.   If you could respond to this message

Weaver Hastings