Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 1997 18:21:36 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Problem with SCSI Zip 100 & Trantor T130

>I have a problem with my SCSI Zip 100 drive connected with an (old)
>Trantor T130 board (NCRC400 based, 8-bit board, without BIOS).
>
>The card is correctly probed at boot time, i can format, disklabel,
>mount the disk with any problem, but while trying to copy a file into an
>UFS formatted disk i get tons of the following messages:
>
>nca0/5/0: data length underflow
>nca0/5/0: data length underflow
>nca0/5/0: data length underflow
>nca: last byte timeout
>
>The drive works, the file is copied, but very slowly.
>The drive should be ok, i have no problem using it under Linux.

I think that you are on to a bit of a loser with this card for anything but
a CDROM under FreeBSD.

A year or so ago, I got one of these cards free and started to hook up a SCSI
disk I had lying around. I could format, disklabel etc, but could not copy
reliably. I had a look at the source to the driver and it doesn't really
seem to be written with anything other than a CDROM in mind. The block
size seems to be fixed at 2kB, DMA is a faked etc, (all from memory).
I think (but cant remember) that the errors were the same as you are seeing.
However, under Win95 the drive and card were fine.

Duncan

---
Duncan Barclay          | God smiles upon the little children,
dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk | the alcoholics, and the permanently stoned.