Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:00:09 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Javier_Mart=EDn_Rueda?= <jmrueda@diatel.upm.es>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fsck of big disk

Valerio Daelli wrote:
> Hi list
>
> we have a freshly installed FreeBSD 6.2 machine with a gstriped external disk,
> of 5.3Tb. The disk is composed of two slices of 2.6 Tb.
> We are trying to have a (background) fsck of it but few hours later
> since the start of the check
> the host get unresponsive: it responds to ping but it doesn't let
> login anyone, nor by ssh
> nor by console.

What do you get if you press Control-T on the console when it is
unresponsive?

When you do a background fsck there is a point at which a snapshot of
the filesystem is taken, although I'd say that happens at the beginning
of the check. The problem is that with 5.3 Tb, it may take quite a while
to take the snapshot, and during that time the system blocks any process
that tries to write to the filesystem. Maybe that's what you are
experiencing.