Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:39:55 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Victor Balada Diaz <victor@bsdes.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10-RC1 ISO image too big

On 14/12/2013 20:20, Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've downloaded FreeBSD-10.0-RC1-amd64-disc1.iso and after trying to burn it
> on a 700 MB CD I noticed the size will not fit. The ISO size it's roughly 744MB.
>
> I would say this is too big for normal CD size (650) and even for the bigger
> ones (700 MB). I know there are still bigger CD-RW's but they're less common.
>
> Is there any plan on trying to reduce the size of the image so it does fit
> on a 700 MB CD before the release is out?
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Regards.
> Victor.

Any reason you need cd media?

cd and dvd media are priced about the same these days so there is
little reason to use the smaller cd media. Can you even buy a cd only
drive? Here is Australia you'd have trouble finding a non-recordable
dvd drive.

For at least 5 years now I have used dvd media even for cd size images
just to take advantage of the extra transfer speed.

In case you don't get that point -
cd  x52 = 63.8Mbit/s
dvd x16 = 177.28Mbit/s

The same data on dvd media can transfer about 3x faster. That's before
you account for having to swap cd's during install.

How many machines running today have a cd only drive?