Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:04:03 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>, Leroy van Logchem <leroy.vanlogchem@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.1-RELEASE: [zfs] [kmem] zfs destroy snapshot results in panic: kmem_map too small

on 24/09/2010 15:33 Jeremy Chadwick said the following:
> As for your questions under "Questions" -- yes you have to tune, no
> there aren't really "reliable guidelines" and I've been asking for such
> since ZFS came out for FreeBSD, but your values look fine.

I can't provide you "reliable" or "authoritative" guidelines, but I have an advice
which seems to work.

On amd64 set your vm.kmem_size to at least the amount of available memory that you
got, or even more (1.5x, 2x).
An easy way to do that (1x) is to set vm.kmem_size_scale="1".
In head this is already done automatically, MFC to stable/8 is expected.

As to arc_max/arc_min, set them based your needs according to general ZFS
recommendations.

--
Andriy Gapon