Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 02:19:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>
To:        Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, se@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq built-in ncr & tl controllers with 4.0

Hi,
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> We then tried to boot with the 3.1 and the 4.0 boot floppies.  Neither was
> able to find the SCSI controller or the ethernet device.  Of course, we find
> it odd that 2.2.8 found the devices ok, but newer releases do not.  As far
> as I can tell, the hardware is supported by CAM, etc. (I have a Tekram 390F
> 53c875-based card in another 4.0 machine that works great).  The installs
> failed with the complaint that no disks could be found to install on.

I have the same symptoms with an Compaq Proliant 1600.
The cause seems to be that these machines have more than one PCI-Busses which
lay behind on PCI-PCI-Bridges and only one gets probed/found under 3.*, 4.*.

Furthermore under 2.2.7 the Busses seems to get probed but in an different order
than the BIOS does because the ncr for the internal disks (which gets probed
first by BIOS) is probed last by the Kernel and im my case the BIOS-drive C:
gets da2. Verry annoying if Disks get added into the cabinet... :-(

Do the symptoms trigger some Ideas by someone?

Bye!
----
Michael Reifenberger
Plaut Software GmbH, R/3 Basis