Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 02:13:41 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   backup problems with tar script

Here is a script i copied and modified from the gnu site.
I am only backing up /etc for testing reasons.

#!/bin/csh
set now = `date`
set then = `cat ~/.admin/date.home.dump`
tar -c -l -G -v\
-f /mnt/zip/backup.tar\
-N "$then"\
-V "Dump from $then to $now"\
    /etc
echo $now > ~/.admin/date.home.dump

Here is the end of the output and the resulting error.

etc/uucp/port.sample
etc/uucp/sys1.sample
etc/uucp/sys2.sample
tar: Can't write to (null) : Bad address

Any ideas what is going wrong?  I tried searching the tar man page for the
word 'null' in the error list, but had no luck.  Apparently tar is choking
on the first file (non-directory) after all the directories in /etc.

What I want is an automated system that backs up all files modified or
created since the last backup.  I would prefer the backup file name to be
generated automatically from the date, and for the script to determine the
cutoff date automatically as well.

jcm
--
"I drank WHAT ?!" - Socrates