Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2011 08:44:17 +0400
From:      Dmitry Kolosov <onyx@z-up.ru>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Battery charge limiting

> I've never heard of such a theory as limiting charge to prolong battery
> life, not with Lithium Ion batteries anyway; nor have I ever seen any
> such as a BIOS option.  'Common' on which brand/s of notebooks?
>
> Can you provide any links to articles discussing this?

http://hintsforums.macworld.com/archive/index.php/t-104440.html
http://askubuntu.com/questions/34452/how-can-i-limit-charging-capacity-to-
extend-a-batterys-lifespan

Lenovo provides such programs with their new products. A program can hold a
battery at 70-80%% while it not used.

> I don't think control over a notebook's charging is possible in FreeBSD;
> this is usually managed by an Embedded Controller and ACPI merely passes
> on the the states reported by that and by the battery itself.

May be modern EC provides some controlling methods or so?