Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 18:01:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Annother patch for Mozilla

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Open Systems Networking wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:
>
> > create a FreeBSD branch on their site?  They seem to be using CVS already,
> > so it might help keep us in synch with the rest ofthe mozilla hacking
> > commnity.  Perhaps then can even be shown the blessings of CVSup?
> >
> > 	I'm sure they will have some patches that are relavent to FreeBSD,
> > just as we will have patches for the world.  (Free software make one feel
> > like a humanitarian at times. ;-)
>
> That was my idea to have a FreeBSD CVS mozilla tree and then feed the
> patches back to the mozilla people. For the simple reason that A) there is
> no public CVS tree yet at mozilla.org is there? B) It would be alot nicer
> to have a FreeBSD cvs tree for the mozilla code. And then submit patches
> back to them. I dont feel were betraying mozilla as chuck says if we start
> a FreeBSD CVS tree as long as we feed the patches back to them. I think it
> would tend to accelerate a well maintained FreeBSD port if we kept a CVS
> tree then fed patches back. I'm not aware of the full story behind the
> scenes of what halp the FreeBSD project gave the mozilla people. So I
> might be missing some facts. But I personally dont see the harm in us
> maintaining a FreeBSD CVS tree and submitting the patches back to
> mozilla.org. Naturally everyone is going to have an opinion on wether this
> is a respectable move in the eyes of the mozilla people. Well im tired and
> confused :) so im off to la la land. Much discussion will in no doubt
> follow.

	I agree there is little risk of harm.  If the FreeBSD camp leads
the charge to a well managed and clearly evolving version of Mozilla, it
can only be a good thing.  My point was that _if_ mozilla.org already had
some CVS stuff in place, that it would be more efficient to work within
that framework, perhaps on a CVS branch.  I see merging FreeBSD oriented
diffs back into the base tree as an hopefully avoidable task.

	We have had success with independantly maintaing FreeBSD-ish
versions of major packages, c.f. gcc/g++, but it this comes at the risk of
our always having a "specalized" version thatr is never in sync with the
world.

	Either way I am still happy as hell that Netscape made the sources
available.  Since I only have time for bug fixes and nminor patches, I'll
leave real decision making to the pros like Eivind et. al. who put their
money where their mouth is on more regular basis than I do.

cheers,

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,