Date:      Wed, 19 May 2010 20:58:48 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apache web server being attacked

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com> wrote:

> Nothing is worse than someone insinuating the original poster don't know
> what they are talking about. I find your remarks totally un-necessary. Your
> telling the poster they don't know what their doing when it's you who don't
> know what options are offered by their register. How can you say something
> is not available when you are not the one using or providing the register
> service. For you information port forwarding is common function when the
> domain name is specified to a dynamic ip address. Check out

No you are wrong.  Matthew is correct.  Perhaps you are confusing URL
forwarding/redirect with port forwarding, but they are completely
different.  Domains on dynamic ip address REQUIRE some method of
intervention to update the DNS record when it changes eg dns/ipcheck.  The
only way a registrar could avoid doing such thing would be if they
controlled address assignment and since registrar and ISP are rarely if ever
the same organization you are forced to use the Internet in Matthew's
reality.

As far as URL forwarding goes, there are several different methods to
accomplish it.  The safest way is to simply host the vhost and http 301 it
to the correct place.  Other methods are hackish and may not be able to be
tracked if so desired as well as other limitations.

--
Adam Vande More