Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 21:12:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        gkoller@cs.vu.nl
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM/stable/BT-958 questions

Guido Kollerie wrote...
> I have installed the CAM-980513-stable patch (file date: 15th May)
> on a 2.2-stable system (CTM delta 718). It seems to be running just
> fine, nevertheless I have a few questions:
>
> 1. The README said:
>
> "You will also likely want a "pass0" device.  Look in DM, LINT or
> GENERIC for examples."
>
> However pass0 is not mentioned anywhere in LINT or GENERIC. I am not
> sure what DM is. Is pass0 a Current feature not applicable to Stable?

	The passthrough driver is in GENERIC in the -current CAM snapshot.
If it isn't in GENERIC in the -stable snapshot, that is a bug.  It should
also be in LINT, but it isn't.  DM is a config file for Justin's test box
that usually ships with the -current snapshot.  If it isn't in -stable,
that's probably a bug.

	The passthrough driver is part of both the stable and current
snapshots, though.  It is basically a CAM passthrough driver.  It allows
you to send raw SCSI commands to a device.  It also allows you to send
other, non-SCSI CAM CCBs.  You can do most of the things that a peripheral
driver would do via the passthrough driver, if you choose.

	If you have the passthrough driver in your kernel configuration,
there will be one passthrough driver instance created for each SCSI device
in your system.  By default, the passthrough driver doesn't announce itself
on boot.  If you boot with -v, you will see the passthrough driver probe
messages.

	The passthrough driver allows programs like xmcd, tosha, cdrecord
and camcontrol to function.  So it's highly recommended. :)

	As for your other questions, I'll leave them for Justin to answer,
since he wrote the BusLogic driver.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry